On a hot summer’s day the only thing we can think of to cool off is a delicious, tasty, iced latte with a dash of caramel flavouring. The first whif of that espresso shot, the creamy milk and the delectable caramel flavour when blended together make for the perfect summer beverage. An iced latte, for those who are not yet coffee enthusiasts, is simply milk mixed into an espresso shot and poured over iced with a flavour of your choice. Simple!
While a conventional latte makes use of hot, steamed milk, an iced latte uses milk straight from the refrigerator so as to prevent the ice from melting. Making an iced latte is quick and easy and can be done in under five minutes as there is no need to heat the milk. Here’s a quick guide on how to make an iced latte at home.
You will need (for a medium sized latte):
- 2 shots espresso
- 2 ounces liquid sweetener
- 8 ounces milk
- Caramel syrup
Here are the simple steps:
- Your first step is to brew your espresso. The espresso can be used hot or cold, but many prefer to brew it before making their iced latte. You will usually need to have an espresso machine to brew the coffee. Alternatively you could have the espresso brewed from the night before to save you time the next day.
- Add the liquid sweetener. Using sugar can be a little tricky as it doesn’t properly dissolve with the ice, so a liquid sweetener is your best bet. You can also just add your caramel syrup instead of the liquid sweetener to get the sweetness. If you have a sweeter tooth, you can opt for both.
- Once you have your espresso and your desired sweetness, pour over the desired number of ice cubes.
- Pour in the milk and top up your glass as desired.
Here you have four easy steps to making your very own iced latte at home! No need for all those Starbucks trips now.