Self-love means taking care of your needs in all aspects of your life. It means choosing your wellbeing everyday and believing you deserve good things in life. It is about loving yourself unconditionally, and being happy with who you are rather than what you own or achieve.
The journey of boosting self-love is an ongoing one. Self-love helps you feel joyful effortlessly and survive the tough and challenging times in life. It helps you build strong and healthy relationships, and make decisions that are in your best interest.
On the other hand, a self-love deficit can lead you towards things, people and situations that are not good for you. Here are some ways you can increase self-love, changing the way you see yourself and the way you interact with the world:
- Take ownership of all aspects of your life and avoid self-pity or the victim mentality. This will help you feel empowered and evaluate the various choices you have in life.
- Learn to let go of anything that is not good for you, whether it is a toxic relationship, a habit, a behaviour pattern or anything else. Embrace change and accept life unconditionally.
- Forgive yourself and others instead of engaging in a blame game, which can keep you angry and resentful for a long time.
- Read positive affirmations on a daily basis, preferably in the morning, related to life, love, relationships, finances, healing, etc. You can also use visualisation techniques and a vision board to think about the things you want in life.
- Eat meals which are good for your body and energy levels. Avoid overeating unhealthy foods or starving yourself to achieve a certain number on the weighing scale.
- Pick any exercise you like, such as walking, running or dancing, and do it on a daily basis.
- Follow a routine, if you can (depending on the nature of your work), in order to stay focused on your goals.
- Get proper sleep of seven to eight hours every night. Switch off your TV and keep your cell phone away at least half an hour before going to bed.
- Build a strong support system with people who lift you up and encourage you to be the best version of yourself. Avoid those who drain your energy.
- Ask for expert help when you need it, such as for planning your nutritious meals, developing a workout plan that helps meets your fitness goals, dealing with stress, etc.
- Stop comparing yourself to everyone around you (and stop scrolling mindlessly on social media). Tell yourself that you are beautiful and that your life is full of abundance.
- Keep trying out new things in order to move out of your comfort zone and grow as a person.
- Make a list of things you love about yourself. Keep making additions to this list.
- Celebrate all achievements, no matter how small they may seem to be.
- Dedicate some time everyday to meditation and breathing exercises, which will help keep your mind calm and give an instant boost to your energy levels.
- Make a list of things you are grateful for. Read it everyday or place it somewhere where you can see it often.
- Learn to set healthy boundaries with friends, family members and co-workers. Say “no” without guilt to anything that is not in line with your values or self-care practices.
- Nurture a hobby to satisfy your inner self. This could be anything that makes you feel joyful such as painting, writing, gardening, decorating, etc.
- Keep your environment free of clutter and surround yourself with things that you love or go for a minimalistic look if that’s what you prefer.
- Pamper yourself often with activities that make you feel beautiful such as getting a manicure, pedicure, facial, massages, etc.
- Buy clothes, jewellery and accessories which you really love wearing and feel good in.
- Keep a journal to record your thoughts, feelings and experiences.
- Be part of a wider community, based on your interests, by attending events and meeting new people.
- Spend time in nature as often as possible by going to the park or the beach or simply taking a walk around a neighbourhood which has trees/greenery.
- Consume content (books, TV, online) which is good for your mental health and helps in your personal growth.
- Try to have fun whenever you can, whether it is a night out with the girls, playing an indoor/outdoor game with friends, watching a movie or some other activity you love.
- Always have personal or professional goals which you can work towards.
- Be mindful of your actions and learn to value your time. Cut out all the unnecessary stuff that you might be paying attention to during the day. Reduce the notifications you receive on your phone and unsubscribe from mailing lists that keep cluttering your inbox.
- Choose your thoughts. Catch yourself going down a negative thought trail and distract yourself with some activity or write those unpleasant thoughts down.
- Try to help others whenever you can with your various skills and talents. Pat yourself on the back for all the good deeds that you do.