Harvey Weinstein, the disgraced film producer has been charged with a further six counts of forcible sexual assault in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles District Attorney said on Friday. The charges involve two victims and stem from incidents that occurred over ten years ago, District Attorney Jackie Lacey said in a statement.
Weinstein has been making headlines for quite some time now and was convicted earlier this year in New York of sex crimes. He now faces a total of four counts each of forcible rape and forcible oral copulation, two counts of sexual battery by restraint and one count of sexual penetration by use of force, involving five victims for crimes that span from 2004 to 2013 in the Los Angeles area, the district attorney said.
Those representing Weinstein were reached for comment but were not able to comment. Weinstein, who is serving 23 years in prison in New York, has always denied having nonconsensual sex with anyone. Should the once powerful Hollywood mogul be convicted in Los Angeles, he faces up to 140 years to life in prison, as per a statement.
“I am thankful to the first women who reported these crimes and whose courage have given strength to others to come forward,” Lacey said in a statement.“The willingness of these latest victims to testify against a powerful man gives us the additional evidence we need to build a compelling criminal case,” she added.
Weinstein, 68, was originally charged in January by Los Angeles prosecutors with sexually assaulting two women during separate incidents in 2013. His conviction in New York for sexual assault and rape in a criminal case was hailed as a victory for the #MeToo movement against sexual misconduct by powerful men.
Prosecutors in Los Angeles have initiated a request for temporary custody of Weinstein from New York. Further, an extradition hearing is set for December.