Pakistani celebrity makeup artist Shoaib Khan has garnered a big fan following, courtesy his jaw-dropping recreations of veteran personalities in Pakistani entertainment as well as characters from block-buster films, which have been essayed by leading global stars including Deepika Padukone, Angelina Jolie and Joaquin Phoenix among others. The latest look making the rounds is that of none other than Halime Sultan, the famous role played by Esra Bilgiç in the popular Turkish series Diriliş: Ertuğrul. Khan is not just enthusiastic about makeup transformations but always makes sure to keep his fans engaged by also sharing his thought process behind each look and his reason for choosing it in the first place. Here is a lowdown of the various mind-blowing masterpieces created by Khan in his career.
- Halime Sultan played by Esra Bilgiç This week, Pakistan seemed to have found its own Halime Sultan in the form of Khan. The makeup guru transformed himself into Bilgic’s sought-after character and looked every bit like it! From the headpiece and jewellery to the subtle makeup look, social media users were literally drooling over the recreation. Using his magic to pay tribute to Sultan, Khan captioned the post, “A woman so strong who can be gentle, so simple who can be beautiful, so high in a character who can be humble, so fierce, she can be compassionate, so passionate who can be rational and so disciplined yet so free. Such is an inspiring character of Halima Sultan whom I paying this tribute today!”
- Malti played by Deepika Padukone Khan holds grave issues close to his heart. It was this aspect that made him want to recreate the Indian cinema beauty’s look for the film Chhapaak, which was based on an attack victim’s heartbreaking life. And honestly, no one could have done it better than him! Speaking about reworking Deepika’s look in the Bollywood film, he wrote, “After recreating this look: I have only one thing to say to all the acid attack survivors around the globe: Glisten your face with ruby lipstick. Gather your hair to one side so the details of your face become more visible. And SMILE! No one can maim or embarrass you! Don’t hide your scars, instead, flaunt them like a superpower! You’re beautiful and you’ll always be beautiful.”
- Maleficent played by Angelina Jolie The stylist and stellar makeup artists took his skills up a notch as he magically transformed into Jolie’s fairytale character, Maleficent. Khan opted for a deep contour to match Jolie’s enhanced cheekbones and the signature red pout. He wrote on Instagram, “I’ve been wanting to do this look for so long, and finally, here it is! Inspired by the queen Angelina Jolie in Maleficent. Those striking features and bold red lips! I will never get over her.” Even more exciting was how Khan was clad in an outfit similar to Jolie’s Maleficent 2 costume – faux snakeskin, a horned headpiece, red-painted nails and the perfect tint of yellow to his brow bone.
- Queen of Melody Madam Noor Jehan Pakistan’s music industry has witnessed very few singers who would be at par with the Malika-e-Tarannum or Noor Jehan. A legendary artist and a force to be reckoned with in her heydays, Khan paid an emotional tribute to the late singer in another powerful transformation. “Growing up in the era of PTV one could not help but be mesmerised not only just by the most melodious voice you will ever hear but a true comprehension of beauty of Maleeka-e-tarannum Madam Noor Jehan,” the makeup artist wrote. “I still remember watching her on TV and feeling star struck in an instant. This is my attempt to send a tribute to this everlasting symbol of beauty.” And he did complete justice to it! Khan sported a green ensemble, while styling his hair in true Noor Jehan fashion; an updo, some loose curls and flower in the hair.
- Joker played by Joaquin Phoenix This look really did become viral on the internet when it first surfaced. It saw Khan in a painted white face, red coat and green hair with the iconic facial expression of the character. But the makeup was just flawless! Honestly, he looked just like Joker! Reflecting on the look, Khan said, “Being an artist we feel every emotion more than any other person, and you can see those emotions through our work,” he revealed via his caption, touching base with his followers about how artist’s work with dedication despite what’s going on in their personal lives. Khan continued, “No matter what’s going on in our lives we still have to be at work on time and do our work with all the dedication.”
He also got personal with the struggles he faces in his life and how he could relate to the Joker on some levels. “Sometimes I want to cry, sometimes I want to take a day off and sometimes I just want to go with the flow and with all these things I feel that we gather our reactions inside somewhere and we don’t take them out or we don’t react on certain things,” he stated. “Recently I watched Joker and I don’t know I felt that this story is telling lots of people’s stories and I could relate to it, so I thought my next look should be dedicated to this great character and I tried my best to give all my emotions in one look.”
- Legendary actress Rani Jee Calling it a “humble attempt” on his part, Khan’s recreation of the yesteryear icon was nothing short of exemplary. With light pink lips, dark winged eyeliner and chunky gold jewellery, Khan knocked the look out of the park. He captioned the post on Instagram, “She was born on December 08, 1946 as Nasira Sarfraz. Known for her expressive eyes, sensuous curves and superb dancing skills, her acting career spans over a period of 32 years. While recreating this look, I took a critical study of her talent and work and got to know that she wasn’t a mere character; she was an academy. She was incomparable in her profession. Her acting, dancing, beauty and dressing was exceptional and that is why I’ve always been such a big fan of hers.”