Former Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein was earlier convicted of assaulting his former production assistant, Miriam Haley. The disgraced producer was slapped with a federal lawsuit, with Haley seeking compensatory and punitive damages for the pain and suffering she said Weinstein caused by assaulting her in July 2006, a time when she was fairly new in the entertainment industry. Lawyers for Weinstein have not responded to requests for comment by various media outlets. Haley, who currently resides in London, filed her lawsuit with the US District Court in Manhattan. Weinstein has been called out by several women since the #MeToo movement gained momentum world over almost three years ago.
Weinstein is appealing his February 24 conviction and 23-year prison term for assaulting Haley as well as a previously aspiring actor Jessica Mann in 2013. The conviction was in a New York state court in Manhattan. Weinstein still faces separate rape and sexual assault charges in Los Angeles.
Haley earlier testified that she agreed to meet Weinstein on July 10, 2006, in order to discuss a television production that the two were working on together. She visited him in his apartment in Manhattan’s SoHo locality. “Weinstein has completely failed to acknowledge his criminal misconduct” and shown no sign of true remorse, Haley said in a statement provided by her lawyer Gloria Allred. “He should be held fully accountable,” she added. “Ms. Haley lived with the horror, humiliation and pain that this assault caused for years,” her lawyers wrote in the filing. A Delaware bankruptcy judge overseeing the liquidation of Weinstein’s former film studio is expected to consider a liquidation plan that would provide about $17 million in compensation to Weinstein’s accusers, revealed Reuters.